Thursday, February 10, 2011

Where?

Most of this reading will probably happen in my bed after the kids are asleep.  There is the slight possibility that I will develop some discipline along the way and sit studiously at the kitchen table in the quiet early morning hours thoughtfully scribbling in the margins and cross-referencing the piles of open books heaped at my elbow.  I won't rule it out.  I would like that scene to show up in the movie montage leading up to the climax when I run up the stairs of the Philadelphia Museum of Art in a grey track suit and then stand atop a stack of faux-leather bound Great Books, fists raised high in a victory salute. So I won't rule it out. 

Those are the possible specific locations but my general location will be changing soon.  Right now we live near Berkeley CA and I will start my reading here.   But in a few months we will be moving to North Carolina where most of the reading will occur.  This is going to be a long haul (the move, yes, but really I refer to the reading)  so there is another slight possibility that during my Great Endeavor we will move again to another state.  I will rule it out. We have moved, on average, every year of our married life.  If I have to move one more time, even if it is in 15 years when I will most likely be getting to the end of this odyssey (with a small "o"...it would suck if it took me 15 years just to get through THE Odyssey), I may have to follow the example of some of the folks I will be reading about and poke my own eyes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment